Who is a Data Scientist?
Data science is a field that includes the study of mathematics, statistics, business intelligence and information technology. A data scientist is an individual who is well-versed in data analysis and transformation. They spend their day building relations between data to form patterns and identify new trends. In simple terms, they produce understandable information out of organized and unorganized data. Mostly, this skill is used to overcome business challenges.
What is the Average Salary of a Data Scientist in India?
Data scientists are in high demand all over the world. The best part about being a data scientist is that you can expect a decent salary even as a fresher, which increases exponentially as you gain more experience. Below is a brief overview of their earning potential-
- Entry-level Positions: Rs. 5 lakh to Rs. 6 lakhs per annum for freshers.
- Slightly Experienced data scientists: Rs. 6 lakh to Rs. 7 lakh per annum for data scientists with work experience of 1-4 years.
- Experienced Data Scientist: Rs. 9 lakh to Rs. 10 lakh per annum for professionals with 5-10 years of work experience.
The salary mainly depends on the amount of experience and skills you have as a data scientist. A senior-level data scientist may earn up to Rs. 17 lakh a year in India!
Important skills you will need as a Data Scientist
Here are a few skills that can speed up your salary and experience-
- Knowledge of mathematics and statistics
- Programming languages – Python, R, SQL, Spark, etc
- Data Extraction, Transformation, and Loading.
- Understanding trends in data
- Machine Learning Algorithms.
- Advanced Machine Learning
- Data Visualization
Who are the Top Employers of Data Scientists?
A big advantage of being a data scientist is that there are many career opportunities in this industry. You can find job openings for every level across companies, given you have the necessary skills and qualifications. Some of the top data scientist employers in India and abroad are-
How to Become a Data Scientist in India
Here are the best Data Science courses that you can consider if you aim to become a Data Scientist-
- BSc In Programming & Data Science
- BTech In Artificial Intelligence
- Tech Data Science & Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science
- MSc Data Science
- Master of Science in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Ops
While bachelor programs can help you get started, a master’s degree will help you plant a firm footing in the real world. If you are a working professional with the required graduate degree, NMIMS provides a distant learning program in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Ops. The course is designed to train data science professionals for creating cutting-edge business solutions.
As the field has become highly competitive, employers prefer candidates who have completed a related professional program and a Master’s degree in the relevant field. Thus, kick-start your career by choosing the right program and institute that can help you excel in the field of data science.